A Baby Dress!
So I'll tell you something about sewing a dress: it's not easy! I sat in the chair with the dress in one hand and the directions in the other for a long time, stumped. I haven't ever tried to sew anything without my mom right there, and I guess I just am not clever enough to do it on my own. I ended up just kind of making it up, figuring I could figure out how to fix it later if I had to...or I could cut the thing into squares and do with it what fabric was meant to be done with :) Anyway, the collar is a little on the angular side of round, and now the thing, whatever it was step 6 was supposed to do, is not done the way it should be. I still have the sleeves to go (with elastic, of all things!), and the whole bottom half. I had this fantasy of pulling out the scissors and the iron and one brief hour later holding this adoreable tiny dress in my hands (like Coralee did somehow on that day at Shannon's house...), but I might be lucky if I get it done before Scott pulls in on saturday. Although, who knows, maybe I was just doing the hardest part.
The pattern I chose was one with several constituent parts that can be worn alone or as an outfit: a little puffy-sleeved dress, with a pinafore that can be worn over the top (or alone as a sundress), and some ruffely pantaloones to go underneath. I figured that I can make the dress, and when (since corrected: IF) I get the dress done, I can make the pinafore, and when that turns out as beautifully and professionally as anyone could have hoped, I'll make the little pantaloons and stitch matching ruffles all over the little bum. When the process is complete, I'll start all again with new fabric. See what a flawless plan? the not-so-existant seamstress in me is all aflutter :)
The pattern I chose was one with several constituent parts that can be worn alone or as an outfit: a little puffy-sleeved dress, with a pinafore that can be worn over the top (or alone as a sundress), and some ruffely pantaloones to go underneath. I figured that I can make the dress, and when (since corrected: IF) I get the dress done, I can make the pinafore, and when that turns out as beautifully and professionally as anyone could have hoped, I'll make the little pantaloons and stitch matching ruffles all over the little bum. When the process is complete, I'll start all again with new fabric. See what a flawless plan? the not-so-existant seamstress in me is all aflutter :)
Once upon a time in February I thought that I would sew matching Easter dresses for my girls. I didn't even get so far as to sit down at the sewing machine before I realized that I don't actually have the right chromosome for sewing. It's a rare one found on number 15. You'll have to talk to a genetisist to figure out if you have one, although Julie, I really was sure you had it so keep on sewing those cute squares into cute things.
Posted by
Shannon |
9:09 AM