« Home | Your Family Values Station » | A tasty recipie » | Argh » | Guest Post! » | 40,001 baby names » | braces » | I can't imagine! » | A ramen picture » | Spooky » | one lonely apple » 

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 

Something I Remembered

When I worked at the museum, we had to feed crickets to our Bearded Dragon. Once a month or so we'd get a box full of crickets in the mail from Reeve's Cricket Ranch (yes, we called to see if they sold t-shirts; they don't). Someone, usually Elise, the reptile's primary caretaker, would go dump the crickets into the aquarium and then feed a few to the dragon each day. Once I substituted for Elise for a week or so. It was the week the biggest, meanest snake, Zander, was shedding, which was bad enough, but it was also the week the crickets came. The idea of putting them into the aquarium wasn't bad, but when I was actually down there, looking into those black swarms of crickets all climbing over each other, it really made me feel squeamish. I must not have dumped them deicively enough when i finally gathered my courage, because somehow they ended up all over the place. I had to stay down there in that hot, smelly room for the longest time rounding up those crickets. That's just something I was reminded of by a friend's email about feeding crickets to his toads.

Now see if it was me I would have just abandoned the crickets and taken the lids off of the lizard cages. Maybe even borrowed a few other turtles and whatever else eats crickets. I can't imagine picking one up.

I like the idea of having crickets sent through the mail instead of hitting the pet store weekly for my supply. It's like NetFlix for toad owners: or NetCricks.

Shane

I totally want a Reeve's Cricket Farm shirt! Cricket is such a friendly word. (Tell that to the early Saints I suppose.)

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Stan
  • From
My profile

Archives

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates