Super Saturday
This saturday is Super Saturday--the day where the relief society does all the craft projects they don't do anymore at homemeking night because there is no homemaking night anymore, only 'Home, Family, and Personal Enrichment Night'--and I, being on the enrichment committee, have so much to do before then. I'm in charge of making the "I Spy" bags, these felt bags with a vinyl window that are filled with these clear plastic pellets and all these tiny things that you have to shift the beads around to find. There's a list of objects to look for on the back--it's like the I Spy books, only it's a quiet toy for church or the car or whatever. Scott's mom made them for all her grandkids for Christmas last year and they were a big hit. Stan gets so excited when he sees the little bouncy ball in there--"Bah!!!! Bah!!!!" It took me forever to cut out all the felt and vinyl pieces because I couldn't cut more than one layer at once, and now tomorrow I have to sew all those pieces together to make cute little vinyl covered felt bags with a window. I'm worried, because I heard it's a pain to sew through vinyl and you have to put tissue paper over the top so your needle doesn't, uh, self destruct or whatever bad thing would happen if you didn't, but then how can you see where you're going? and how will I keep all the layers from shifting all over and getting crooked? can I pin through vinyl or will I have to use paper clips or something? Anyway, I have to sew all those and then go track down additional packages of things I am a few short on. There aren't too many of those, though. I think I have a pretty good assortment of tiny things to put inside. Some of the best ones are little plastic houseflies, foremen, lizzards, glittery white doves, little fake lolipops, baby bottles, tiny pastel clothespins, little football beads, little mirrors, a golf tee, a tiny spool of thread, a christmas light, a feather, a jingle bell, a googly eye...and on and on and on....beans, beads, pompoms, pasta shapes, pipe cleaners, ponytail holders, pieces of ribbon and lace and yarn....I have bags full of this stuff! I'm hoping when it's all over with Jeff and Bryson will want about 82 firemen and a hundred marbles. I'll be keeping the extra erasers, paper clips, foam hearts and letters, ponytail holders...Scott can have his golf tees and pennies back, stan can have the lizards. Walmart can have the extra plastic pellets back, if there are extras.
In addition to this I signed up to make two quiet books (Robyn, don't look!) so I have to cut out about a million little tiny things out of felt. I don't know when I'm going to do it all, seeing that Stan hates it when I try to focus on anything but him. Scott it going to take him from me in the evening after work, so I hope that's enough. I can't wait till it's all over.
In addition to this I signed up to make two quiet books (Robyn, don't look!) so I have to cut out about a million little tiny things out of felt. I don't know when I'm going to do it all, seeing that Stan hates it when I try to focus on anything but him. Scott it going to take him from me in the evening after work, so I hope that's enough. I can't wait till it's all over.
You could make an environmentally conscious I-Spy bag as a family activity: take the kids and pick up things on the road, in parks off the grass, etc., that are harmful and then put those things into the bags. That way you are picking up waste, using the debris, and teaching the next generation about the evils of bottle caps, cigarettes, alumininum cans, paper Shop-Ko ad scraps, plastic water bottles, pop can tabs, smashed pennies, dried hotdog bun bites and all of the other FREE and interesting tidbits that might end up in the bag.
Come on, you'd get some response in Church during quiet time for sure!
Posted by
Dawn Wessman |
8:49 PM
yah...the last one I made like that gave me all kinds of problems when the needles started poking through....
Posted by
Stan |
12:35 PM
HA!
Posted by
Dawn Wessman |
7:23 AM