10 things on my favorite topic :)
1. Today I read The Wonderful Food of Provence, a cookbook Scott bought me that I haven't looked at in a long time. Provence is a region of France right by the mediterranian, so it's pretty heavy on seafood recipies for a chef (haha, I like to flatter myself :) in Utah without beaucoup bucks. There are a lot a feasable hors d'oeuvre recipies and vegetable dishes, though, that I might try soon. Also, the book verified that courgettes are indeed just zucchini, as I suspected.
2. I also re-read one of the Pampered Chef cookbooks that I got from Shannon and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't remember everything that was in there, and there are a lot of things I'd like to try this summer, especially appetizers that would be perfect as picnic entrees.
3. so far, I have tried some carrot-spice bran muffins, and cocoa banana muffins for stan from the Vegan websites. The mini muffin pan is perfect for him, but the muffins have all been pretty crumbly, so i'll need to experiment with the recipies. I'm thinking of adding some applesauce or something. If only I could add an egg, that would be perfect!
4. Scott and I have been using our (and by "our" I mean "my dad's that we took") pasta machine and making egg-based pasta. It turns out so velvety and delicious! We finally got some real pasta flour this Saturday, and I'm excited to give it a try. Maybe it would be good for his welcome-home-from-Scout-camp meal. the downside is that we can only make flat things: spaghetti, fettuccini, lasagna sheets, and ravioli. I don't think I'll ever care enough to get an extruder.
5. I looked at grain mills today. Man, are they expensive! Even one that clamps to the table and you crank it by hand was $70, and anything nice and electric was like $230. Boy oh boy. It's not all that high on the priority list, but it's fun to think about.
6. Maybe the only thing that's keeping scott from being a perfect husband is that he doesn't like breakfast foods. Why, oh why can't he like breakfast foods!?!?! There are so many brunch items that I'm dying to make, but I don't want to be eating all alone, crying into my waffles. *sigh*
7. Other than that, I'm so lucky that Scott likes to try new things and isn't a picky eater. He's always a good sport, but I have pushed the limits a few times (a saurkraut disaster and lots of it, let's leave it at that...). I just love having someone to feed every day! As much as I love to cook, when I'm just feeding myself I eat bad things.
8. I love that every season has it's own set of foods. For me, that's the most exciting part about a change of seasons. When I sense the next season is right around the corner, I usually express my excitement my grabbing a legal pad and brainstoming a big long list of foods I can make for the upcoming change in weather.
9. Just like I cycle through hobbies, I cycle through food interests. Each phase lasts anywhere from a week to a month or two, and during that time I just go crazy about one thing. The most common phases are Breads, pies pies pies!, vegetables/vegetarian, pasta, soups, and egg dishes. Right now I'm in the vegetable phase, but I really feel Bread coming on...hence the browsing of flour mills.
10. Things I never really get into are desserts (with the exception of pies, pate a choux based pastries, and homemade ice cream); ethnic food (although I have been making more of an effort to try Asian foods); and rice things.
2. I also re-read one of the Pampered Chef cookbooks that I got from Shannon and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't remember everything that was in there, and there are a lot of things I'd like to try this summer, especially appetizers that would be perfect as picnic entrees.
3. so far, I have tried some carrot-spice bran muffins, and cocoa banana muffins for stan from the Vegan websites. The mini muffin pan is perfect for him, but the muffins have all been pretty crumbly, so i'll need to experiment with the recipies. I'm thinking of adding some applesauce or something. If only I could add an egg, that would be perfect!
4. Scott and I have been using our (and by "our" I mean "my dad's that we took") pasta machine and making egg-based pasta. It turns out so velvety and delicious! We finally got some real pasta flour this Saturday, and I'm excited to give it a try. Maybe it would be good for his welcome-home-from-Scout-camp meal. the downside is that we can only make flat things: spaghetti, fettuccini, lasagna sheets, and ravioli. I don't think I'll ever care enough to get an extruder.
5. I looked at grain mills today. Man, are they expensive! Even one that clamps to the table and you crank it by hand was $70, and anything nice and electric was like $230. Boy oh boy. It's not all that high on the priority list, but it's fun to think about.
6. Maybe the only thing that's keeping scott from being a perfect husband is that he doesn't like breakfast foods. Why, oh why can't he like breakfast foods!?!?! There are so many brunch items that I'm dying to make, but I don't want to be eating all alone, crying into my waffles. *sigh*
7. Other than that, I'm so lucky that Scott likes to try new things and isn't a picky eater. He's always a good sport, but I have pushed the limits a few times (a saurkraut disaster and lots of it, let's leave it at that...). I just love having someone to feed every day! As much as I love to cook, when I'm just feeding myself I eat bad things.
8. I love that every season has it's own set of foods. For me, that's the most exciting part about a change of seasons. When I sense the next season is right around the corner, I usually express my excitement my grabbing a legal pad and brainstoming a big long list of foods I can make for the upcoming change in weather.
9. Just like I cycle through hobbies, I cycle through food interests. Each phase lasts anywhere from a week to a month or two, and during that time I just go crazy about one thing. The most common phases are Breads, pies pies pies!, vegetables/vegetarian, pasta, soups, and egg dishes. Right now I'm in the vegetable phase, but I really feel Bread coming on...hence the browsing of flour mills.
10. Things I never really get into are desserts (with the exception of pies, pate a choux based pastries, and homemade ice cream); ethnic food (although I have been making more of an effort to try Asian foods); and rice things.
Please God, let me find a wife who lies to cook as much as Julie.
Posted by
Supercords |
8:29 AM
Why oh why can't I live right next to you???
Posted by
Shannon |
2:47 PM
You might check with some of the stores that sell wheat grinders, or the classified ads, to see if a used one is available. At the rate most families use their grinders, there are probably some good used ones out there.
Love,
Dad Wessman
Posted by
Ernie Wessman |
5:05 PM