« Home | Other People's Stories » | MSN - News - 'Wife Swap' Breaks Down Barriers » | What a shame » | I come crawling back » | a pox upon our house » | I have no personality » | Some pictures from the trip » | last week » | Love for Jeeth » | SuperLink of the Day » 

Thursday, April 07, 2005 

kids

Tonight we were at our friend Joey's house till around 10:30. The weather is just beautiful tonight, so we took a little detour on the way back with the windows downand the moon roof open, then I dropped scott back off at his office. I took canyon road home, which I like to do when it's late because the left turn is easy, the scenery is nicer, and there's hardly ever another car behind me. When there's no one behind me, like tonight, I just cruise along after I get up the first uphill part. The road is slightly down hill all the way to the BYU end, so without putting on the gas at all I can go about 32 miles per hour, just a touch slower than the speed limit of 35, and it's a nice quiet way to go. I feel leisurely when i do this, like I'm taking a stroll. Well I was cruising along at 32 miles per hour when out of the darkness appears a bunch of kids right in the road. One of them was standing with his arm out; when i got closer I saw that he had his thumb up, asking for a ride. He was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and there was another kid just sitting down in the road by his feet. There were three or four more on the sidewalk, just standing around in their slouchy way in great big hoodies. the way they just formed out of the night...they were like ghosts. It got my heart going a little, the way it would have done if a dog had run out in front of me, or if there were a big piece of newspaper were blowing across the street and I wasn't quite sure what it was. They were just there in the center lane. I continued home at my leisurely pace, catching the green light by the carwash, and turned onto our street. As I got closer to our house, i saw that the road was all wet in places; there had recently been a water baloon fight. I was looking mostly at the water, but as I turned into our driveway I glanced up toward the yard. There was a group of ten or twelve kids just standing in our yard all close together, right in the corner where the driveway meets the street. By the time I stopped the car by the side door, they had migrated back across the street where they had evidently come from. I can hear them now, outside, being glad that it's finally spring.

I can't believe you weren't freaked out even a little bit about strange kids hanging around your house that late at night.

well they were just at the edge of our lawn, they had obviously just migrated from the house they were meeting at, they weren't beneath the windows or anything. And i figured that criminally-minded teenagers aren't so inclined to use water baloons...plus if you're going to get into mischief, you don't go in a group of twelve.

True true, which just goes to show why I should never have teenagers. I can't figure them out even when they're not around me.

I'm at work listening to MP3s on our various shared drives, and I came across the America: Greatest Hits album. Much to my surprise, I discovered the source of your blogger name: Sister Golden Hair Surprise.

I feel like I've got a whole new insight into your psyche.

Shane

it's actually scott's psyche, shane. He called me that one day when we were engaged and I thought it was so funny because i had never heard it and i thought he just came up with it. come to think of it, I still don't think I've heard the song...

You should, it's a good song. I didn't realize how many America songs I knew until I listened to this album. They also sing "Muskrat Love"

Shane

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Stan
  • From
My profile

Archives

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates