« Home | " no historical event, according to [Michael] Foca... » | I feel like I should have something worth saying, ... » 

Monday, April 07, 2003 

I'm listening to an amazing interview on NPR. I tell you, public radio is just about the best media there is. It's a different feeling than television. There's not the same push to cater to people with 2-minute attention spans. There's time. An hour to discuss anything you want. There's variety. Things don't have to be violent or sensational or scandalous to get on the radio. When they invite guests to speak, they let them say what they came to say instead of asking for the 30-second summary of their groundbreaking research or their one sentence environmental policy reccomendation. You can do a story on the radio even if there are no pictures, even if there's no crime. Since the commentators are invisible, radio can get truely talented journalists, not just journalists that are handsome and can read a script. Public radio is high quality journalism, that's all there is to it. Anyway, right now I'm listening to an interview with James Tobin, who wrote a biography about Ernie Pyle, the famous World War Two correspondant. It's fascinating. World war II is fascinating. I should have been a history major, but I'm too close to graduating now...and I do like political science. I'm going to write this down so I will remember to read it. Ernie Pyle's war: America's eyewhitness to World War II. Now would you ever get a good interview from a historian on the nightly news? Anyone who happens to see this, this is for you: listen to NPR! you'll be glad you did!

About me

  • I'm Stan
  • From
My profile

Archives

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates